Thursday, February 21, 2013

A Seattle Girl's Guide to Getting Over A Text Message Breakup

I will always be thankful to my exboyfriend (and last serious relationship two years ago) for ending things in the worst way possible.  When the person you are in love with is tagged as someone else's boyfriend in a Facebook photo, all subsequent breakups seem inconsequential.  Granted, comparing love that ends in a swirl of lies to feelings after dating someone for five weeks is not exactly fair, but this time around I'm eating, I'm sleeping, and I'm not popping Vicodin or thinking about driving my car off a cliff into the river.  Hell yeah, this girl's got coping mechanisms!

My process for healing myself:

1)  Take a pregnancy test.  If it is negative, repeat every week until I get my period.  If it is positive,- thank God that has never happened.

2)  Run.  Run fast.  Run the fuck out of the pavement.  Run past the sweat, the breathlessness, the pain in my legs.  Run until I feel strong again and then keep running until I feel stronger.  Run knowing that I could outrun in distance every man I've ever dated.  Tell myself that my ability to run is a clear indicator of my superiority.

3)  Ask for support.  The first boy I kissed, my oldest friend since we were five years old, my best friend from college, my two single girlfriends in Seattle- they all delivered with phone calls, cheer-up text messages, and warmth so deep it reminded me that I can be romantically single and still have love.

4)  Get back in the game immediately.  If the opportunity to have sex presents itself, do it.  When the next guy I sleep with doesn't want to see me again, it will be a welcome distraction from the one who came before him.  The cycle has to continue until the right person comes along, and then it will stop.

Coping takes practice and skill.  I get better at it every time.

 

1 comment:


  1. Texting is definitely a big double edged sword when it comes to breakups. It's easy to send few texts after breakup to your ex explaining how desperate you are feeling without her. You might even try to call her few times first before sending your text. However, most of the times these actions will push your ex even further from you. So how to get your ex back again? Yous hould check this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6Otcn2nwW4..It is a revolutionary new system that is designed to help people mend their broken relationships with the use of SMS messages. This might sound a bit crazy, but the program creater claims that the lowly text message, when used properly, can be a powerful tool.

    ReplyDelete