Monday, December 22, 2014

Still Here

It has been over a month since I last went on a date.  I'm sticking to my resolution to only sleep with men I like, and as a direct consequence of that, I'm only going on dates with men I like which means, if you follow logically, that I have not encountered any men I like in the last thirty days.  Cool.

Because you never know when an attraction might form, I set my OkCupid filters to be quite broad, searching all men looking for women living within 25 miles of Seattle between the ages of 28 to 46.  I scrolled down my matches, clicking on the isolated pictures that piqued my interest in any way whatsoever.  A few men seemed awesome but then their profiles had dealbreaker words like "non-monogamous" and "doesn't have kids and doesn't want any."  I kept on scrolling.  Over an hour passed as I looked for a person who drew me in, then I hit an OkCupid dead-end:

That's everyone we could find
If you set a lot of filters, you might not get any results
Try broadening your search settings

I couldn't believe it.  I had glanced over the pictures of every single man in the Greater Seattle area within an eighteen year age range, and I hadn't wanted to contact any of them.  That's really, really bad.

Engineer with the Houseboat, who I dated briefly in the early summer, tells me to be more hopeful.  We got over the whole "You should have broken up with me in a text message!" argument and became friends.  He, being a normal, fun man who can carry a conversation, is currently dating multiple women and feels stretched thin with his romantic prospects.  I, on the other hand, have never dated two people at the same time- not because I'm opposed to it, but because it takes a Herculean effort for me to find any sort of connection with one man, much less two.

But hopeful I try to be.  I'm just also being pickier.

No comments:

Post a Comment