Thursday, January 9, 2014

Number 60

My friend texted me a few weeks ago, "OMG, I got the most ridiculous message on OkCupid. The guy basically said that he really wanted to fuck me but wouldn't date me because he's a vegan and I love steak and he knew it just wouldn't work out."

Another internet dating gem.

I agreed that it was hilarious, and I asked her for his screen name to put a face to the story.

MrVegan (screen name slightly modified for anonymity) was surprisingly unobnoxious in his profile and kind of cute. He was outdoorsy, liberal, socially conscious, and hmmmm.... You get the picture. I was interested.

Then the message came:

"Ok, can I take a guess? You saw my profile because I just edited my profile and part of it showed up on the Okcupid title screen?"


I didn't dare tell him why I saw his profile, but I did agree to meet up for a drink. After all, I have made a life choice that gives me so much more potential than basic fuckability: I'm a vegetarian.

The drink was fun- so fun that we moved on to Round 2 and got vegan soft serve. Not only was I attracted to him, but I saw a mindfullness to how he lives his life that piqued my interest. For me to fall in love with a man, I must think he is amazing. I need to be inspired and challenged, to have a partner that pushes me to live my life as a better person. It was only one date, but I could tell right away that we had in common an important desire to make ethical and deliberate decisions. So what if he wanted to screw my friend but not date her? Props for honesty.

I could tell that the interest was mutual. When I gave him a ride back to his apartment, he messed up directions and caused me to drive past his street.

"Do I make you nervous?" I laughed.

"Yes, actually. I'm very attracted to you."


It was the first time I had gone on an internet date when I would have kissed the man on Date #1, but he didn't make a move. "I'm just gonna give you a hug- for now- but I'd love to do this again" he said.

Fair enough. He sent me a message that night following up, and we wrote back and forth for a few days before I realized that he hadn't actually asked me out again. I sensed that he was interested but holding back, and I suspected another woman in the picture.

Well folks, I should go back to college and major in Male Dating Psychology because I would ACE THAT SHIT.  A week later I got another message from him:

"Hey, so, I had an awesome time with you and I would like to do it again. But, I have some loose ends to tie up with my long term ex-girlfriend who has reemerged after many months. If you can give me a couple weeks, I will check back in with you."


Totally cool and again, props for honesty. And if he doesn't get back in touch? At least I had a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment