Monday, July 30, 2012

Values

"I think it's important to know a few things about what makes someone tick, even before deciding to go on a blind date.   I value mental exercise, nature, my family, my spiritual practice and exercise above all other things. In a partner, I value self-respect, and that they have goals, hobbies, and a sense of humor.  What things do you value in life and in people?"

The above section of an email came from a man who is a friend of a friend of a friend.  If you haven't noticed, this is a consistent pattern in my dating life.  How many degrees of separation does it take to get a date in Seattle?  Apparently, several.

I found it odd that he had such strong criteria for a first date.  In April I had a man who I spent 48 hours with planning to move across the country to date me.  Did either of us ask the other what we valued?  No.  But first dates, man...  Gotta figure things out before the first date.

I responded, "I value health, social justice, learning, a connection to the environment, and my relationships with people.  In a partner I value honesty, open-mindedness, and a sense of obligation to the world around them.  Also, I value fun!  The serious stuff is good as well, but I need to smile and laugh and joke around with a partner."

He did not respond, so I assume our values did not align.  How can you not value fun?!?  Glad we saved ourselves some time!

No comments:

Post a Comment