Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Tick Tock

Then BAM!  Under the flashing lights of the Perseid meteor shower, lying beside an alpine lake on rocks still emanating heat from a gorgeous summer day, in the company of two friends from childhood, I turned 30.

Tick tock tick tock tick tock.  It's the sound of my biological clock telling me I have five years- five years!- to have a child without the diagnosis of "advanced maternal age" in my medical chart.  And I have not been on a date in nearly a month.

Things I have done in the last decade besides getting engaged, getting married, or getting pregnant:

Graduated from college
Served in AmeriCorps
Completed a Fulbright fellowship
Earned a master's degree
Learned a second language
Fell in love- twice
Lived in four different countries, and traveled to many more
Found a career that I love, that is my passion and calling in life
Started prescribing medications
Climbed to the top of Central America, just shy of 14,000 feet
Saved lives, made lives less painful, participated in the act of healing the world
Made lifelong friends along the way

I did these things because I was single, because I didn't have to compromise my goals and desires to fit the goals and desires of a partner.

So while I cannot stop that clock from ticking, I intend to make the moments count- to keep learning, keep traveling, keep loving, keep climbing, keep doing my small part to save the world- all with one eye on my internet dating accounts.

Tick tock away.

No comments:

Post a Comment