Friday, November 28, 2014

Craiglist Missed Connections

Because really, what do I have to lose?

My neighborhood has some of the best coffee shops in the world within a half mile radius, but on this particular day, I needed a break from Capitol Hill.  I didn't care about the ingenuity of my latte art.  I wanted to be free from MacBooks and Google Glass and facial hair. 

Drove two miles south, and I might as well have been in a different city.  Bam!  Beacon Hill delivered.  Two minutes at the windowsill of a coffee shop and a hot, Black, dreadlocked man walked in, wearing a mix of notflannel and notplaid.

"What asinine pickup line can I come up with?", I thought.  Three years of hitting on men in Seattle has given me the confidence to know that the introductory line doesn't matter.  Just start talking about anything.  ANYTHING.  If there's interest, I will get a response.

I walked over to his general vicinity, chose a nearby magazine, and said syllables out loud.  I have no idea what the magic words were, but in the subsequent minutes I found out he was an inner city kindergarten teacher, and I fell in love.  He asked me what my name was and gave me his.  Everything was going great, but I couldn't close the deal.  I got nervous, as we do, and I left the coffee shop with no numbers exchanged- even though I think we both wanted to.

So I turned to the Missed Connections section on Craigslist and posted, from which I have gotten a single response:  "You could have taken him a cookie with your number on the napkin."

Noted.

Fingers crossed!!!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment