Sunday, January 13, 2013

How Not to Contact a Previous Partner

In July I had horrible, awkward, second-date sex with a man who was very polite and told me that he was not interested in a third date.  There were no hard feelings; the chemistry was off to begin with and I appreciated the honesty.  He said that he'd like to go out as friends, which of course is code for "I don't want to see you again."  That was the end of our contact.

I kept his number in my phone for one reason only.  It had been a year since I'd been tested, and if anything came back positive, it would be really uncomfortable to explain to our mutual friend why I needed his contact information.

July, August, September, October, November, December, and a few days in January passed before I finally got into Planned Parenthood.  When I was mailed squeeky clean test results a week later, I breathed a sigh of relief and deleted several male contacts from my phone who I was certain I would never, ever speak to again.  He was one of them.

Literally a few hours after I deleted these contacts, I got a call from an unknown number.  He identified himself, and my heart sank.  Obviously, in my mind, the only reason you would call a woman you slept with six months before is to give her some bad news.  Herpes.  HIV.  Chlamydia.  It didn't matter that I'd tested negative a week before- there are incubation periods and false negatives!!!  My mouth became dry as I braced myself for the worst and asked him why he was calling.

"So I have a couple friends that are going to be nurses, and I gave them your contact information if they had any questions.  Hope that's okay."

Seriously?!?  If you're going to sleep with a woman and then decide you're not interested in dating, you'd best pursue a casual friendship within the next month or so.  Call six months later, and you're asking for a minor freakout.

No comments:

Post a Comment