Sunday, May 10, 2015

I Was Promised Single Men

I was promised single men at the barbeque I went to yesterday, and they were there, all White and working in tech, which is to be expected at any party I go to in Seattle these days.  The most attractive had a huge beard: "He's growing it as part of a competition".  I think they all are.

My friend's boyfriend, the host of the party, pulled me aside and said "I know you don't like men in tech, but we're not all bad.  These are nice guys."  I gave it an honest shot, and holy fuck was it painful.

"Seattle's so expensive now we're all gonna have to buy homes in the Black neighborhoods" was the gem of the evening.  There was a point in my life when I would have responded fiercely, but the tide has turned against me and I'm tired, so I just got another beer.

I heard the words "operating system" repeated frequently as well as the acronym "CSV," and I sat in a yard chair smiling and trying to look engaged.  A man made a joke about being in a good position to see up my skirt- because god-forbid you should try and look at body parts above my neck when talking to me.  I twisted my legs in the other direction.

One of the men mentioned how he didn't like dating in Seattle because "I tell a girl I work in tech and it's automatic points against me."  I couldn't argue.  I feel bad for my prejudice but also note that I've had sexual relationships with an unemployed opiate addict, a man working minimum wage in the Whole Foods deli, several alcoholics, and a single father/pot dealer because they were a better time than anyone I went out with who could fix my computer.  (Of notable exception is Engineer with the Houseboat, but HE LIVED ON A HOUSEBOAT, so how could I not?)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment