Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Everyone Is Looking for Something

There is a greater chance that I will randomly run into a man who I went on a first date with than go on a second date with him.  It's true; I have counted.

This past Sunday, however, I ran into a man who I went on multiple dates with in January.  On the second date we slept together, and I was handed the awkward but necessary task of sending him an "I'm not interested" text message a few days later.  We settled on a friends-with-benefits type relationship and continued to hang out casually, a few times a month, until he landed himself a girlfriend a few weeks ago.  I was bummed to lose my hookup buddy in Seattle, but I was genuinely happy for him.

"Things are going great," he told me, as we caught up briefly on his lunch break.  "She's got a lot of connections in the art world in Seattle and she's gonna try and get my art shown at events.  And she's really nice- like, she put a jar next to my bed and will drop coins in it so I can save up for art supplies or we can go away together.  And she likes trains too!"  He train hops.  It was a match made in heaven.

"That's great!", I said, "I'm glad things are going so well!"

"There's just one thing I wish I could change about her," he started off.  Uh oh... 

"I wish she would lose some weight.  I mean, I feel like a jerk, but attraction is a really important part of a relationship!  Don't judge me."

I didn't judge him.

"Also, she talks a lot.  A few nights ago she talked for fifteen minutes straight, and I was kind of annoyed.  Then she stopped talking and asked me if I thought she talked a lot, and I said yes, and then she started crying!  I felt really bad."

I started to judge him.

"Another weird thing is she suggested that we should move in together, and we've only been dating for three weeks."

I was full-on judging.

"So," I clarified, "What you like about her is she has art connections and gives you money and likes trains?!?"

 I then gave him some love advice, because I totally know what I'm talking about.

"I just feel like three weeks in you should be all like 'Fuck Yeah!!!' about this girl, and you don't seem like you're thinking that.  So I think you should tell her."

And this is why I am single.

No comments:

Post a Comment