Thursday, August 28, 2014

Back on the Saddle!!!!!

I disabled OkCupid for two months because, contrary to popular belief, dating is not my life.  I had priorities this summer, and they included enjoying the fuck out of the most gorgeous Seattle weather I can remember in my 32 years of life, and then climbing Mount Rainier.  Mission accomplished at 14,410feet; I can now focus on putting a gigantic, responsibly-sourced diamond on this Pacific Northwest finger.  (Will donate 10% of the proceeds to your favorite nonprofit.)

It is statistically impossible, I tell myself, that there is not a single awesome man in this city who would love to date a cute, smart, beer-drinking, sex-loving, mountain climber chick.  I reactivated my OkCupid account.

My optimism got the best of me after my most recent 6 week OkCupid "success" story, and I had forgotten how bad it is.  There were four men wearing kilts in pictures.  I received a message that said, in its entirety, "Like Batman and Superman?".  A man whose screen name is GiantHomunculus was a 94% match to me.  There is a section to describe your relationship type as "monogamous" or "non-monogamous."  And all of this absurdity is BEFORE I read the profile contents.

I've been doing this for three years, and I'm now much better at quickly filtering out the men who I will never, ever connect with.  Any of the following words come up in a profile, and I hit the "back" button immediately:

Geek
Nerd
Videogames
Animae
Polyamory
"I have an amazing girlfriend who knows I'm on this site"
Open marriage
Computer graphics
420 friendly
Witty banter
Height: 5'4''
Herpes  (not joking here, people list their STDs online)
"I ran out of razors. My beard is getting out of hand!"

#66, here I come!
 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment