Monday, August 18, 2014

Bioluminescence

"Give me some of that pussy!!!!!" screamed the man who had opened the sliding door of a moving van to greet me and my friend at 9 am in Sitka's downtown.

Welcome to Alaska.

The men who I met in this state were, in general, frickin' awesome- friendly, kind, and confident.  In the ten days that I spent in Alaska, I had more offers to buy me a drink than I have had in the past three years on Capitol Hill.  My friend and I had no problems meeting people in bars, and we observed that these men could have a conversation.  Finally, we were in the company of males who weren't borderline autistic!  None of the men we met went to college or had a financial plan, but they were all capable of basic social skills.  We were impressed.

So what if they all wore flannel and had beards?  These fashion statements are completely appropriate in The Last Frontier.  If your job entails heavy outdoor labor, you have earned the right to look like a total mess.  I am less forgiving if you work on a laptop in South Lake Union and show up at a craft cocktail bar looking like you stepped out of a logging camp.

Two men we met offered to take us on an Alaskan adventure, and we boarded the private boat of our host with the following supplies for an overnight trip:  A kayak, a 24 pack of Old Milwaukee beer, taco fixings, crab pots, and a shotgun.  The destination was Admiralty Island, home to 1,600 brown bear (hence the need for the rifle).  We anchored at dusk and ate dinner together, then the men went outside and asked us to follow.

One of them smacked a rope into the ocean and the water lit up green.  "Bioluminescence", he explained.  The production and emission of light by marine microorganisms!   I was enchanted by Alaska, and I wanted to fall in love with a man in that wild, uncharted territory.

The best part about the trip was no one had sex, or even kissed.  It was just good, male on female company, with enough sexual tension to keep it interesting but not enough to make it awkward.  We were out on a boat in the Pacific Ocean with two men who we'd known for 48 hours, no cell service, and a loaded gun, yet we felt safe and respected the entire time.

New York, I'm over you.  Juneau is the new plan.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment