Friday, May 25, 2012

The Anniversary

Most of my friends are coupled up, celebrating anniversaries of first dates, engagements, marriages, or childrens' birthdays.

I hope to have these celebrations of my own one day, but for now, I have my own anniversary to celebrate this weekend.  One year ago, over Memorial Day weekend, was when I found the text messages from my exboyfriend that sent my life into a fast, downward spiral. 

Calling it heartbreak would not be strong enough.  What word do you use to describe when the person who you admire most in the world takes advantage of your trust?  When you are lied to repeatedly and told that you are making a big deal out of nothing?  When a person's actions make you so sick to your stomach that you survive on a diet of Mexican sodas and Vicodin for three months?

I am still single, and he is in love with someone else.  Yet I tell myself, and I think I believe, that if you could classify anyone as a winner in this mess, it was me.  I may not have a boyfriend- or even a decent date- but I do have sincerity, integrity, compassion, and a moral compass that guides me to treat people well.  Oh yeah, and I make twice as much money as he does.

If there is ever an anniversary to celebrate, this is it.

No comments:

Post a Comment