Thursday, June 25, 2015

Still Dating

I liked #77 immediately, without even having met him, because his photos on OkCupid were a series of selfies taken in a Safeway bathroom.  He had no pictures rock climbing, throwing fire, posing at the Taj Mahal, or playing a musical instrument.  Rather the 6th Avenue Safeway in Tacoma, he elaborated, best described his personality.  I was ready to roll.

We met up at a Tacoma café, and he was so cool!  He'd recently earned a PhD in Sociology and was faculty at a local university, teaching a class on Gender Studies to undergrads.  Intellectually, out of all the men I've been out with, I enjoyed talking with him the most.  We geeked out together about hate speech, race, social inequality, and the failure of trickle-down economics.  He asked me what I thought about the Affordable Care Act and genuinely seemed to care about my response.  I felt like we could effortlessly hang out all night; we shared a ton in common.

But this was supposed to be a date, not a liberal powwow, and I couldn't tell if either of us was feeling it.  I liked him sooooo much as a human being, yet as he described to me trends in worker job satisfaction since the 1970s, I tried to tune him out and focus on the question at hand:

"Could I picture us sleeping together?"

Try as I did, the answer was No.

I'd had such a good time, I made myself promise that if he asked me out again I would give it another shot and see if maybe, with more alcohol in our systems, we could create some chemistry together.  My friends in loving relationships tell me I need to give men chances, that romance can take time to develop, and while this theory has never worked for me in the past, I continue to take their advice.

Then we parted on a street corner.  "I hope you have a safe drive home," he said, and I could tell by his tone that the feeling was mutual. 

He'd never been arrested.  That was our problem.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment