Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Rum and Cola

When I returned to OkCupid this time around, I made it very clear on my profile that I have a type.  "Have you been arrested or charged with a misdemeanor?  I'd probably like you."  I've decided not to beat around the bush any more:  I like criminals.  It's kind of a dealbreaker.

So when I got a message from a man who told me immediately that he was arrested in a high-speed chase, I thought "Sweet!  Let's go out and try to fall in love with each other," because that's as good a reason as any.  He had a beard but said he worked in politics, so I took a gamble and told myself I could overlook the facial hair as long as he wasn't in the tech sector.

It was a gorgeous night in Seattle to meet at a patio bar for a drink, and I was feeling quite hopeful.  There was no way I was going to have a bad time, I reassured myself, because he's been arrested.  I'd arrived at lucky number 76, and I was optimistic he was the one.

Then we met...  He was about three inches shorter than his stated height, wearing a too-tight white shirt with a button popped open, hair greasy and matted as though he'd been wearing a baseball cap for several days straight.  Nothing about him seemed fun or even remotely criminal.  I wanted to turn around and run, but that would had been rude, so I asked the bartender for the strongest beer possible and without waiting for my date to order, I paid for my drink in cash.  I was 100% uninterested; we were not starting a tab together.

He ordered a "rum and cola," and I rolled my eyes, deciding on a fundamental level that we had nothing in common as human beings.  It's obviously Rum and Coke.  He was lame.

Then he told me about his job in politics:  "I actually am the only IT guy for the ____ court in Seattle, so I keep all the systems running."  

If working in politics means you do IT, then I work in Mexico because my patients are Hispanic.

I'm not sure what happened for the rest of the date because I was quite focused on my beer.  It was delicious- medium-bodied and a bit citrusy while not too bitter.  My date kept talking and I pleasantly agreed, "Uhhuh...  Yeah...  That's really cool... Wow..", over and over again for about ninety minutes.

He stopped and asked me how I was doing. 

"I actually have to get up really early tomorrow so I should get going."

We left the bar and awkwardly hugged on the street corner (it wouldn't be a proper first date if we didn't).  He made a vague suggestion to hang out again, and I responded with an equally vague "Have a good night!", which didn't address the offer of hanging out whatsoever.  Passive aggressive Seattle style.  That's the way I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment