Monday, September 16, 2013

An OkCupid First

I received an interesting OkCupid message recently:

"A friend of mine turned me on to a blog written by a woman your age who seems to match a lot of things in your profile that I find alternately hilarious and off-putting. (more hilarious) So taking the risk of looking l like a creep (and I guess being a little bit of one) I decided to see if I could find her if for nothing more than a chat... SO anyways, I guess I thought I'd see if I at least found the actual author of The Fourth Date because it has made for some awesome reading."

My first thought was "Holy shit, people read my blog?"

Followed by "Holy shit, people read my blog!!!!" 

And concluding with "Holy shit, please don't let my parents/grandparents/patients read my blog."

Because I'm not proud of so much that is on this website.  I don't write to brag about crappy, meaningless sex I'm having or my complete lack of connection to men I'm encountering.  I wish, so desperately, that this was different.

I write for several reasons. 

The first is because I find dating to be fascinating.  In its essence, two people lay their hearts and souls on the line and hope that the other person will not only accept who they are, but love them for it.

The second is that what I write about is, for many of us, the reality of dating that goes unsaid.  There is a lot of loneliness mixed with casual sex, hope followed by letdowns, confidence boosts tempered by fears of inadequacy, all strung together by brief, human connections that are so few and far between.

The third is because these experiences merit documentation...  I look back at my first blog entry and remember the moment two and a half years ago when I found out my last serious boyfriend cheated on me.  Love, honesty, respect, future plans came crashing down when he was tagged in a Facebook post as someone else's boyfriend.  A Facebook post!  How could I not start a blog after that?

But rest assured, for readers who don't know me, I'm a pretty normal person.  I don't think most people would meet me and connect this blog to my life.  Yet it is 100% real, which just goes to show how crazy dating can be.  Ask any dater over age 27 what their experiences have been like.  We all have our own stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment