Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Did this just happen?

I went on a walk tonight and walked right past a man I dated a year and a half ago, the one who shook me when I ended things.  I had literally uttered the following words to him that I hope to never repeat: "Please don't hit me."   He told me he loved me as I shoved my feet into my shoes and got out of his home as quickly as possible.  We are both Jewish and live in Seattle.  You might think paths would cross, but we haven't seen each other since.

He was sitting in a Capitol Hill bar with two friends I'd met, looking out the window onto the street.  We made eye contact, and then he looked away.   His friends saw me too, and for a brief second everyone was aware of the intensity of the situation yet we all ignored it.  They continued their conversation.  I hesitated and almost entered the bar to say hi, but the voice of reason carried my body away.  I am all for getting along and being friends with men I've had relationships with, but it seemed like a lose-lose situation.  This one needed to be let go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment