Tuesday, December 25, 2012

The Car Dealer Service Man

My biggest unrealized crush is on the man who runs the service desk at the dealership where I get my oil changed.

We smile at each other and flirt in between customers.  He knows my name and what I do for a living.  I feel butterflies the day of my oil change.  Recently I've started wearing makeup and dresses to the dealership; I no longer show up in my Saturday morning running gear.  He's commented that I look nice.

I pulled up to the dealership one weekend listening to my favorite pop radio station, but I wanted him to be aware that I was smarter than this.   I switched the dial to NPR so when he restarted the car, he would see exactly how intelligent and worldy I am.  And he noticed!  In fact, he said he'd been listening to the same program and wanted to know what I thought about it.

I had hoped he would be silently impressed by my fierce attention to world affairs, but I hadn't counted on having a discussion with him.  I'd been car dancing to Kesha and had no idea what the program was about.  I fumbled my way through the conversation, and he seemed confused:  "Wait, I'm talking about the program you were listening to."  I responded, "Oh yeah, I guess my mind was somewhere else."  Doh.

About a week later, I got an email from his work account.  I had received a survey about my oil change experience and gave positive feedback.  This is what he wrote:

"Good morning R____,

Hope everything is well.  Just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to fill out the survey, and most importantly for the good marks.

Looking forward to seeing your beautiful smile next time you come in, you are always so kind."

My heart skipped a beat as I pondered over the wording.  What did it mean?  On one hand, he was thanking me professionally.  On the other, sending an email to a customer's personal address and commenting on a "beautiful smile" decidedly muddled professional boundaries.

So I did what any other giddy single girl would do: I looked him up on Facebook...  He is married with three children. 

Maybe I read too far into his email, or maybe I didn't.  I wonder what his wife thinks about him contacting clients with beautiful smiles?

Next time I get my oil changed, I will be wearing running clothes.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment